Bear sightings also reported at the Fernie Mobile Home Park Fairy Creek trails behind the Chamber of Commerce in the new proposed development area, coal creek heritage and uprooted trails. Daily cougar sightings by the Elkford campground and bear sightings reported in town.
Bear Season is here. Be prepared and expect to encounter wildlife anytime, any place!
Bear Safety Tips
* Be Aware of the wildlife in the area
* Make Noise to avoid a surprise encounter (use your human voice, clap hands or two rocks together – especially near running water or in dense brush)
* Carry a walking stick (adults can carry Bear Spray in a side holster)
* Walk in groups
* Keep dogs leashed
If you encounter a Black Bear:
* STAY CALM
* DO NOT RUN
* Let the bear know you are human (arms out to side)
* Use your voice in a calm, assertive manner.
* Back away slowly and allow the bear an escape route
* Never turn your back on wildlife
* Do not approach or feed wildlife
Report Sightings to 1-877-952-7277 or #7277 on cell
For more information on wildlife safety go to www.wildsafebc.com