Tuesday October 22. A sow and her 3 cubs have been lured into downtown Fernie by unsecured garbage, fruit trees and other attractants. This family of bears was in Ridgemont, adjacent to the wilderness but now have found their way into town just a few blocks away from the elementary school. The bears have sought refuge in a large tree but it is likely they will come down after dark.
Keep your family safe by bear proofing your property and help your neighbours to do the same. Everyone will benefit, including the bears. If you see the bears do not approach them and give them space.
* STAY CALM
* DO NOT RUN
* Let the bear know you are human (arms out to side)
* Use your voice in a calm, assertive manner.
* Back away slowly and allow the bear an escape route
* Never turn your back on wildlife
* Do not approach or feed wildlife
For more information on wildlife safety go to www.wildsafebc.com