A black bear and her cubs have been reported by mountain bikers on the lower Montane Trail in Fernie this past weekend.
The safest wildlife encounter is one prevented. Your best defense is to be aware of wildlife in the area.
Make Noise to avoid a surprise encounter (use your human voice, clap hands or two rocks together – especially near running water or in dense brush. Carry bear spray, keep it accessible and know how to use it as your last best defence. Walk in groups and keep dogs leashed and/or under voice control.
If you encounter a Bear:
- DO NOT RUN
- Let the bear know you are human (arms out to side)
- Use your voice in a calm, assertive manner.
- Back away slowly and allow the bear an escape route
- Never turn your back on wildlife
- Do not approach or feed wildlife