Friday August 7. A juvenile black bear was reported following a runner for over 20 minutes down Deadfall, to Oh Dear and Old Stumpy trails. There have been other recent reports of this bear in the same area but the bear would always run away when seeing people. In this case the person ran when they saw the bear, which invoked the bears chase instinct. The bear was last seen heading towards the golf course from the bottom of Old Stumpy.
The safest bear encounter is one prevented.
If you encounter a Bear:
- DO NOT RUN
- Let the bear know you are human (arms out to side)
- Use your voice in a calm, assertive manner.
- Back away slowly and allow the bear an escape route
- Never turn your back on wildlife
- Do not approach or feed wildlife