Wednesday October 21. A cougar was seen by a trail runner last night at about 6 pm by the intersection of Old Goat and Happy Gilmar trails in Mt Fernie Provincial Park. The runner was alerted by his dog barking, the cougar was up in a tree and growled. The runner turned around with his dogs and left the area.
A cougar was reported attacking an off leash dog last week by the power line at the top of Stove Trail.
If you encounter a Cougar
- STAY CALM, DO NOT RUN, MAINTAIN EYE CONTACT
- Pick up small children and small pets
- Let the Cougar know you are human-NOT prey
- Make yourself as large and as mean as possible
- Use your voice in a loud and assertive manner
- Back away slowly. Never turn your back on wildlife
- If the Cougar attacks, fight back with everything that you’ve got, it is a predatory attack
Never Approach or Feed Wildlife