Monday July 8. Bear sightings were reported by mountain bikers on the Forever Blue and Uprooted trails in Montane over the weekend. Be prepared and expect to encounter bears anytime!
The safest wildlife encounter is one prevented. Your best defense is to be aware of wildlife in the area.
Make Noise to avoid a surprise encounter (use your human voice, clap hands or two rocks together – especially near running water or in dense brush)
- Carry a walking stick (adults can carry Bear Spray in a side holster)
- Walk in groups
- Keep dogs leashed and/or under voice control
If you encounter a Bear:
- STAY CALM
- DO NOT RUN
- Let the bear know you are human (arms out to side)
- Use your voice in a calm, assertive manner.
- Back away slowly and allow the bear an escape route
- Never turn your back on wildlife
- Do not approach or feed wildlife
Call 1-877-952-7277 to report human/wildlife conflict