Be prepared and expect to encounter bears wherever you are! Bear and three cubs in Elkview, bear and 2 cubs on 4th and 5th Avenue and seen by Isabella Dicken Elementary and Fernie Secondary Schools. Bear sightings also reported in James White Park, Ridgemont, West Fernie and Alpine Trails. Thanks for keeping garbage locked up and inaccessible to bears and removing anything else that might attract them. Help you family, friends, visitors and neighbours do the same.
If you encounter a Bear:
- STAY CALM
- DO NOT RUN
- Let the bear know you are human (arms out to side)
- Use your voice in a calm, assertive manner.
- Back away slowly and allow the bear an escape route
- Never turn your back on wildlife
- Do not approach or feed wildlife
For more information on bears and safety go to www.wildsafebc.com